Monday, August 04, 2008

BLANKETS


I just finished Craig Thompson’s, “Blankets” and happily, I’ve found something to add to my list of favorite books. It’s a graphic novel about an outsider who grows up and tries to find his place in the world. It’s been a while since I’ve found a book that’s moved me so profoundly and it makes sense that it's autobiographical, because I get very personal. Apparently, a lot of other people can relate the book because my friend who lent it to me loved it. So did the judges of the Eisner Award. So did Neil Gaiman who said that it was probably the most important graphic novel since, "Jimmy Corrigan".

This is the page that just got me. In it, he meets up with his first love and they ride a car for the first time together. It reminds me of my own first love. I remember riding at the back of his car while his older brother drove. Our fingers would find each other even when it would get uncomfortably stuck in between the seat and the door. Even in each other's presence, we were compelled to be even closer.

No comments: